Saturday, April 28, 2012

PPK Tamale Shepherd’s Pie

Ahh, the array of vegan websites and blogs I've been reading lately - so many amazing people...and recipes!  I mentioned Chandra Isa Moskowitz in my last post; she's an amazing author of some really great cookbooks...  Vegan with a Vengeance, Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World (one of my personal faves!), Veganomicon, Vegan Brunch, Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar, and Appetite for Reduction.  Oh, and I can't forget her unforgettable blog, Post Punk Kitchen.

Speaking of which - I drooled over her most recent post, Tamale Shepard's Pie.  The recipe looked a bit extensive, but I just couldn't resist making it - it was calling my name for days.  Oh and leftovers galore too.

 It all started with a coupla pounds of boiled red potatoes.
(to top with later)

Sauteed onion, mushroom, poblano pepper, and
then to the mix - tomatoes, corn, wine, and spices.

Next came the tortilla chips, beans, lime juice, and more seasoning.

Assembly before and after potato topping.

Done and done.

We loved this.  Well, I loved this.  I mean, the rest of the family liked it, but I LOVED it.  Maybe because your original Shepard's Pie (with beef) I used to love, while everyone else was just happy to have dinner on the table.  It could have been too that I was very much in the mood (and in need that day) of some good, hearty comfort food.   Aren't we all sometimes?

2 comments: